Trivia Game for 2007

808 replies [Last post]

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Online Status: Offline

Hello everyone,

This is a new thread based on previous trivia games which have been played here on CLW throughout the years. For those of you who wish to participate in this game, here are the rules:

1. As this website is dedicated to Mr Lee, all questions asked must, in some way, be related to Mr Lee and/or his career.

2. A player poses his or her question. The first person to answer that question correctly asks a question in turn (after the player who asked the question in hand has confirmed that the answer given is the correct one). Questions with more than one part to them are allowed, but the parts should all relate to the same general subject (e.g.: "How many films did Mr Lee appear in with Vincent Price? What were their names?" is a valid example of a question with more than one part to it).

I think that just about covers everything. Without further ado, I will start off with the first question:

Q: In which production does Mr Lee murmur "Courage, madame", and what is the name of the actress he is addressing?

The very best of luck to everyone:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

Helen Dyer's picture
  • Post Number: #1
Re: Trivia Game for 2007

Andres, This is a tough one! I could give you a list of the films Mr. Lee didn't say those words in!

When I first read your question, it popped into my brain that it sounded like something Sherlock Holmes would say.......

I don't have the answer yet, but am working on it!

Cheers,:stupido:
Helen

Always Follow Your Hearts Desire

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #2

Oh now this is a very intresting question! Like Helen, I thought it might be from Shelock Holmes but I can't really put my finger on it. Let's see...

Isabel Alves's picture
  • Post Number: #3

Oh, oh! I never heard this!
Leaving smoke of the head... burned neurons....:banghead:

Isabel Cristina Forlin Alves

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #4

Still thinking...

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #5

Wait... I think I got it. I just recently watched this movie as well. Okay, here it goes!

A: The production is "Horror Express" and the actress he is talking to is Silvia Tortosa.

I don't know if I spelled the name right. Forgive me if so. I remember that in the film, Christopher Lee always refers to Silvia's character as "Madame".

Well Andres, am I right or am I wrong?

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #6

Hello again,

No, David, sorry! Horror Express is not the one I'm thinking of. I can also confirm it's not from any of the "Sherlock Holmes" films either. I think I've chosen a rather tough starter, so I'll give a couple of hints: first of all, these words were not originally in the script (Mr Lee came up with them himself); and second, this actress could be confused for an historic British (or more precisely English) royal consort, and in fact she also played one (this is a major hint once you work it out!) Well, hope these help... keep on guessing! Wink Best of luck:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #7

Alright then Andres! You certaintly have started us off with a tough question! But we are Christopher Lee fans and we can overcome any question about Mr. Lee! Ha ha ha... Now then, time to start thinking again, real hard. Hmm... I wonder... hmm...

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #8

I wonder...

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #9

It was in 1989, La Révolution française, where Mr. Lee played Charles Henri Sanson, member of a dynasty of executioners in France for ca. 200 years. Sanson (or Longval) had to execute the Queen, Marie Antoinette.
In this film she was portrayed by Jane Seymour, he said it to her shortly before she was guillotined.

So, I could not hold back now, although it is unfair, because I finished the "Diaries of the Executioners of Paris", 1685 to 1847) just two days ago. (The title is a direct translation from german to english, so it might not be accurately translated)
...maybe Andrés, for being fair you should choose one instead of me to ask the next question?

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #10

Very well done, Julia!! :congrats: Absolutely correct. I'm most impressed! And how curious that you were reading about the executioners around the same time I came up with the question. Just to explain briefly the clue about the royal consort: obviously "Jane Seymour" shares her name (or, more precisely, her stage name) with the third wife of Henry VIII, and in La Révolution française she played, as Julia rightly said, Marie Antoinette, who was royal consort to the French monarch, King Louis XVI. There you go!

Well, you guessed correctly Julia, so it is perfectly fair for you to ask the next question. Wink So it's your turn now. Best of luck:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #11

Way to go Julia! You know your stuff very well. Now it's time for the next question I presume;) . Take it away Julia!

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #12

Sanson really said these words, so Mr. Lee was very well informed! Although there are rumors at the end of the book, which say it was not/not only a Sanson who wrote it.
Got the book - accidentally - in spring, but had a lot more books to read then. I'm buying too much! Wink

So here's my question:

That man shared his fate with legendary Icarus, but not the sun's heat sealed it.

Title, role and what happened to him, please!
I think, that is an easier one, I'm better in answering then in asking.

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #13

Julia Dykiert;34570 wrote:
So here's my question:

That man shared his fate with legendary Icarus, but not the sun's heat sealed it.

Title, role and what happened to him, please!
I think, that is an easier one, I'm better in answering then in asking.

Well, my first impression was that this could refer to several things, Julia, but then one case in particular stood out in my mind: could it be The House That Dripped Blood (1971), as "John Reid", who is (presumably, since it happens off-screen) immolated when his daughter Jane (Chloe Franks) tosses a voodoo wax effigy of him into the burning flames of the fireplace which then melts away? This was the most direct connection to Icarus I could think of so far. Anyway, I'll check back to see whether I'm right or wrong. Take care:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #14

Very fascinating, didn't think of that film as I wrote my question, but sorry, no, it's not right.
I will be absent this evening but look back today's night/tomorrow morning as soon as possible.

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #15

Hmmm... back to the drawing board for me!

Update: Okay here is my second stab at this question. As Icarus died by plunging into the sea, I thought it may be this, although I'm probably wrong: Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), as "Count Dracula", who was destroyed by falling into the moat surrounding Castle Dracula when Father Sandor shot at the ice, which later froze over again. Well... now to wait for an answer! Take care:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #16

Hm, you are making your way...but it was not Dracula!
My suggestion: if there is no right answer till I look back during night, I will give some hints, for now, your answer is not right, but it is not a bad one! Laughing out loud

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #17

Knowing Andres, I'm sure he'll keep on guessing until he gets it right;). But I shall as well. Now let's see here...

Isabel Alves's picture
  • Post Number: #18

Kevin Clayton;34579 wrote:
Knowing Andres, I'm sure he'll keep on guessing until he gets it right;). But I shall as well. Now let's see here...

It is this! Therefore the answer will be here. I am going of ride in more this information.:driver:

Isabel Cristina Forlin Alves

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #19

Right, okay, yet another guess, seeing as everyone else is keeping quiet for now! I am thinking it might be the following: Airport '77 (1977), as "Martin Wallace", he was on board a Boeing 747 (along with other passengers) which is hijacked and subsequently crashes into an oil rig and sinks to the bottom of the sea somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle area. Mr Lee's character meets a watery grave as he attempts to help the survivors by scuba-diving in order to unlock the bulkheads. Well... I don't know if this is right either. Either way, it's certainly keeping my mind working! Take care:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #20

Tadaa!
This is it, yes, Andrés, you did it. As I made my question, I was thinking about "elements", death by sun (fire) for the one, death by water for the other, but both had a flight in common.
An ovation for Andrés: :congrats:
It's your turn now!

Helen Dyer's picture
  • Post Number: #21

Congratulations Andres! Hopefully an easier question this time?!Wink

Cheers,Cool
Helen

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #22

Helen, thank you for the compliment and btw: if I ever mess my english up, please let me know when my questions or answers are impossible to understand.

David Clayton's picture
  • Post Number: #23

Way to go Andres! I knew you would be the one to come up with the answer! Now as Helen has said, you can make the next question a bit easier! Ha ha ha...

Helen Dyer's picture
  • Post Number: #24

Julia Dykiert;34601 wrote:
Helen, thank you for the compliment and btw: if I ever mess my english up, please let me know when my questions or answers are impossible to understand.

Julia, Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Sind das meiste Willkommen. Mein Deutsch ist sehr rostig, traurig! Ihr Englisch ist fein!

Beste Wünsche,Wink ;)
Helen

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #25

Ja, ich lebe in

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #26

Hello everyone,

Many thanks, Julia! Well, all of these German posts have inspired me in thinking up my next question. During the preparations for shooting a scene in one of the films Mr Lee worked in, the director meant to give one of the other actors the following instruction: "I want you to do this scene butter an dem kopf", a German expression with a particular meaning. However, the director ended up giving the literal English translation, "with butter on your head", much to the surprise of the actor concerned! But, of course, the director didn't mean that! Here, then, is my question (a three-parter):

Q: Which film was being shot? To whom was the instruction directed? And what does the expression actually mean in English?

As a hint, I will add that we are looking at one of the earlier films in Mr Lee's career. Best of luck everyone:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

Helen Dyer's picture
  • Post Number: #27

Andrés Verdú;34610 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Many thanks, Julia! Well, all of these German posts have inspired me in thinking up my next question.
Warmest regards,

Andrés

Hmmmmmmmmm....Andres, my friend........Instead of reading the 'German' posts you might have paid more attention to my previous post on 'an easier question'! Wink

This is an excellent question and is going to take a bit of work......at least for me...Cool

Cheers,:tomato:
Helen

Charles Prepolec's picture
  • Post Number: #28

Q: Which film was being shot? To whom was the instruction directed? And what does the expression actually mean in English?

The film in question is Storm Over the Nile. The instruction was directed to Ian Carmichael by Zoltan Korda. The translation, according to Mr. Lee, is "oily/charming".

Cheers!

Charles Prepolec www.sherlocknews.com

Julia Dykiert's picture
  • Post Number: #29

Congratulations, Charles! :congrats:
I knew, I should not go to bed... Wink

Unfortunately, words like "ölig, schmierig" in german have been replaced by worse words today, but I still like them! Laughing out loud

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #30

Yes indeed, Charles! Excellent! Well done! :congrats: According to what I've read, Mr Lee said that he would never forget the expression on Ian Carmichael's face when he was asked to play the scene with butter on his head (hehe). Well, now it's your turn to ask Charles:

Warmest regards,

Andrés

www.christopherleeweb.com

Copyright 2000-2011 Christopher Lee Web. All rights reserved. | Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Statement | Contact Us | Top of Page